We're up to part 13 of my continuing series on "Fatigue & Fibromyalgia Are Optional." This week I'm sharing my BFF on what I call "Sleep Intensive Care" — a quick list on the importance of getting good sleep, the particular problem of sleep in CFS and fibromyalgia, and tips for getting that healthy sleep.
- Getting eight to nine hours of solid, deep sleep a night without premature waking or medication hangover is critical to getting well.
- Begin with natural sleep aids. I recommend the Revitalizing Sleep Formula by Enzymatic Therapy, Terrific ZZZZ™, and Terry Naturally®'s Melatonin EP120™ 10 MG.
- Because of the severity of the sleep disorder in CFS and fibromyalgia, most patients will need to add prescription medications for at least six to eighteen months. A low dose of several medications is more likely to be effective without next-day sedation than a high dose of one medication. Zolpidem (Ambien), trazodone (Desyrel), gabapentin (Neurontin), and low-dose cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) are the four best prescription sleep medications. Most regular sleeping pills make you feel worse by keeping you in light sleep.
- I give whatever combination of treatments people with CFS/FMS need to get their eight hours of solid sleep a night.
- A weighted blanket (see Luna brand on Amazon) can be very helpful for pain and insomnia when medications aren’t tolerated.
- Keeping the room dark can also be very helpful (see this article at News Founded) .
From My New Edition of From Fatigued to Fantastic
To remind you, BFFs are just the short summaries I include at the beginning of each chapter in my newest edition of From Fatigued to Fantastic I added these to my new edition to help readers who don't have the time to go through all the detail in every chapter, allowing them to quickly get the main points of a topic while devoting more time to reading the details in chapters they're more interested in.
To remind you, BFFs (Brain Fog Friendly Summaries) are just the short summaries I include at the beginning of each chapter in my newest edition of From Fatigued to Fantastic. I added these to my new edition to help readers with brain fog quickly get the main points of a topic. Then, as able and interested, they can dive into each topic to get far more detail. I invite you to get the book. It will rock your world!
Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D. is one of the world's leading integrative medical authorities on fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. He is the lead author of eight research studies on their effective treatments, and has published numerous health & wellness books, including the bestseller on fibromyalgia From Fatigued to Fantastic! and The Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Solution. Dr. Teitelbaum is one of the most frequently quoted fibromyalgia experts in the world and appears often as a guest on news and talk shows nationwide including Good Morning America, The Dr. Oz Show, Oprah & Friends, CNN, and Fox News Health.